PREP TIME: 10 Minutes
COOK TIME: 40 Minutes
- 1 sm sweet onion, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, diced into small cubes with skin
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp dried cumin
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 splash tabasco (optional to taste)
- 1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 avocado
- diced cilantro (optional for garnish)
- shredded mexican cheese (optional for garnish)
1. Bring a medium-sized pot to medium-high heat. Spray with a non-stick cooking spray and cook onions with a pinch of salt until just nearly translucent and starting to brown.
2. Add diced sweet potato to pot. Stir to combine.
3. Chop pepper while allowing sweet potato and onion to cook, stirring occasionally. Add diced pepper and dry spices into pot and toss.
At this point, the pot may be getting dry & sticky. That is okay!
4. Add in the can of diced tomatoes & 1/3 can of water. Then, stir & scrape up all the deliciousness from the bottom of the pot.
5. Add the lime juice and tabasco.
6. Add in black beans & stir everything together.
7. Bring chili to a boil. Then reduce heat to low, allowing the chili to simmer, covered, for approximately 20 minutes. Remove cover and allow to simmer 10 more minutes or until sweet potatoes become fork tender.
Serve 1 cup with 2 slices of avocado, garnishing how you choose.
** This recipe comes courtesy of the amazing Roni Noone. She has a truly inspiring story that you can read about on her fantastic blog, GreenLiteBites.com.